HOME CARE INSTRUCTIONS CONCERNING INLAYS OR ONLAYS
- Do not put anything into your mouth to chew until the anesthetic wears off Due to the strange feeling of the anesthetic, you will chew the inside of your lips, cheeks or tongue which can cause serious damage and trauma to the numb tissue.
- Remember to take your chosen over-the-counter pain medication, as discussed. If you should still experience some discomfort, please call the office.
- Following the first appointment for an inlay or onlay, a temporary is placed on the tooth or teeth involved. This will protect them while the custom restoration is being made.
- Temporaries are of a universal shade. Your final restoration will be shaped and shaded to match your other teeth in color, size, shape and function. With the temporary in place, you may also experience slight sensitivity to cold and/or pressure.
- The use of a temporary cement is for easy removal of the restoration at your next appointment. If your temporary should come off between appointments, slip it back on, if possible, and call us for a recement appointment.
- Some inlays and onlays fit at or slightly below the gumline. Thus, you may experience some discomfort for a few days due to the irritation that area receives during the procedures. Sensitivity to cold or pressure is also possible.
- After the final cementation of your new inlay or onlay, it may take you a few days to get used to the new restorations. The finished restorations may be contoured slightly different and have a different texture than the original tooth. Your tongue usually magnifies this small difference, but you will become accustomed to the new restoration in a few days. If you feel that the bite is not correctly balanced, call the office for a simple adjustment appointment.
- Proper brushing and flossing are recommended to help you maintain your new restoration. If any unusual symptoms occur, please call the office and bring the matter to our attention.
QUESTIONS - CONCERNS OR IF ASSISTANCE IS NEEDED CALL:
Dr. Bernie Reusz 5010 Fairview Ave. Ste. #4 Downers Grove, IL 60515