EPWORTH SLEEPINESS SCALE
How likely are you to doze off or fall asleep in the following situations, in contrast to feeling just tired?
This refers to your usual way of life in recent times. Even if you haven’t done some of these things recently try to work out how they would have affected you.
Use the following scale to choose the most appropriate number for each situation:
0 = Would never doze
1 = Slight chance of dozing
2 = Moderate chance of dozing
3 = High chance of dozing
- __ Sitting and reading
- __ Watching Television
- __ Sitting inactive in a public place (i.e. theater)
- __ As a car passenger for an hour without a break
- __ Lying down to rest in the afternoon
- __ Sitting and talking to someone
- __ Sitting quietly after lunch without alcohol
- __ In a car, while stopping for a few minutes in traffic
TOTAL SCORE: __
Understanding Your Score
1 – 9: Your score is average
10 – 24: Your score indicates that you may suffer from excessive sleepiness and should seek medical attention
Excessive sleepiness is a symptom common in people who have sleep disordered breathing.